Monday, December 05, 2005

Have we truly lost our way?

When I was a little boy, I used to love Christmas. I mean, don’t we all as a child? The lure of this big fat guy that brings presents into your home, along with all of the holiday cheer, is something to look forward to every year. The deception your parents used concerning the whole “Santa Clause” thing makes every child smile from ear to ear. I did not grow up in a truly religious atmosphere. My Mother was basically rebelling against her Mother, for being forced during her upbringing to breathe, eat, and shit religion. My Grandmother is probably the most religious family member I can think of, but she is also the most deceitful. Growing up, every Christmas day, after we all opened and enjoyed our presents, every family member was expected to be at Grandma’s house for the big gathering. Nothing else mattered to her. She was going to have all of her family at her house, no matter what the cost.

But well before the big annual gathering at Grandma’s, there was the all-important Christmas day. Every year my sister and I each had a huge pile of presents to open, dropped of in the night by the loving Santa. I will always and forever remember the year I got my Big Wheel. Somewhere I have a picture of my face just after laying my eyes on this monster. I rode that thing around the block for years. Another moment that will live forever is when I got my highly requested BB Gun. Well, that was what I asked for and what I thought it was. My father then explained to me that it was a .22 Caliber rifle. Dad and I spent many of days up in the ‘armory’ shooting our weapons. This is where the respect for weapons was all but beat into me.

So many other moments come to mind. But one thing was constant during my childhood. We always had a heap of presents to open Christmas morning. Unfortunately, as I grew older and was introduced into reality, I came to learn that my parents went well into debt over the years while making sure us kids had a ‘good Christmas’. I came to the understanding that the house we lived in, a half-a-double as it’s commonly referred to, was refinanced many times over the years to pay off all the credit card bills. The very same credit cards that made our Christmas so bright, had also made my parents very much in dept. Shortly after I had moved out into my first apartment, my parents claimed bankruptcy and lost the house. This home, where I met so many friends, had been taken away.

Now that I am grown up with my own family, I have paved my own path in life. I don’t consider myself to be like any of my family members. I’m not a Bible thumper (for lack of a better word, and no offense intended) and I’m not an atheist. I’m just me, who I think I should be, in this world of indifference. My son has a Santa List that he adds toys to as he sees them on TV. The list is long, as he writes down every freaking thing he sees. My daughter, whom unfortunately, through a number of bad choices by many people, has only enjoyed Christmas in her Fathers home for a few years. Her list is almost non-existent because she is used to near nothing and expects even less. Yet, at the same time, she’s spoiled rotten. How the hell does that work?

What I want to understand is when the true meaning of Christmas got lost? When exactly was the birth of Jesus replaced by the process of buying gift for people just to make them smile on this one day of the year? I often watch the TV station that my son or daughter is watching. This time of year, the stations are filled with commercials selling the latest toys or gadgets. These would be the same, yet totally different things that I requested, if not needed, when I was growing up. To a young child, this is what they are told to expect. This is how they have been brought up. But, for us adults, what the hell are we thinking? To make the kids smile is great! I only wish I could make every kid in the world smile every day of his or her life! I made many kids smile this year by coaching a baseball team. They loved me, because I can operate on their level. I got down on my knees to speak to them. I once let the whole team pile up on me. I had a great time, and I know some kids did too. But, why must we all go out and spend thousands of dollars to once again make them happy on Christmas day? Has this become more consequential then celebrating the Lord’s Birthday?

The same philosophy can be used, even if you are not a Christian. Hanukkah, just as on example brings many of Jewish believers into the stores. It seems to matter not what religion you follow, but how much money you can spend. The retailers and toy manufactures alike are riding this wave for everything it’s worth. They exploit the average working family, by sending messages to children around the world of how great this toy is, or how your child would have so much fun playing with that. What’s hot this year? Try googleing “Moon Shoes”. My son believes he will practically fly with these babies! And, for a mere $40.00, he will try.

I may be seen as a hypocrite this year, as my attic already has many of Santa’s gifts ready for wrapping, but I have an idea for next year. Let’s somehow tell the kids that Christmas is going to be a few days late. This will enable us all to go to our respected churches and celebrate the season for its true meaning. Then, a few days later, after the prices go down, after the rush is over and everyone else is standing in agonizingly long lines to return the gifts that they didn’t want or didn’t fit, we can buy all the kids gifts and make them smile once again.

Look for another rant tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home