Monday, December 12, 2005

A question

The Rev. has asked what Christmas means to us all. Let’s take a look. But first, we have to set the stage, if you will. Let’s remove all religion, just for a moment. While were at it, let’s take away race as well. (if you have to have a color, make it orange) Oh wait, lets get rid of your nationality too. Ok, just one more, lets zap out creed. Now that all the striping is done, what do we have left? Just you and who you are.

Ok, that’s better. Now that we are all on the same level field, let’s examine the question again. What does Christmas mean to you, or to us? I could tell you what it means to me, but this is not about me. What do YOU believe?

1 Comments:

At 4:35 AM, Blogger Carnealian said...

I'm going to exclude this year from my what does Christmas mean answer. Since this year I'm not in the holiday mood.

Christmas always was spent with family. When I was kid, we always went to my granparents/aunts house. I rarely spent Christmas at home. The hightlight of these visits was in the car when my dad and I would sing Christmas Carol's at the top of our lungs. My dad could not sing to save his life and my mother was a very good singer. So, this was quite painful for her. As I got older, we spent Christmas at my sisters with her husband and his parents. There was 7 or 8 of us for the day with a housefull of dogs. Tons of gifts and food.

We always put up a Christmas tree at my house. My dad was try to jerry-rig the thing to make sure it didn't flop over. I was in charge of decorating. We had some really old ornaments to put on the tree. I remember in particular this paper angel that was very old. A mouse or something got a hold of it and took a big chunk out of the wing. This kinda made me chuckle. Every year, when the tree was done, by dad would say, "that's the prettiest tree ever."

Now it's only my sister, her husband and their son. Everyone else is gone. We make the occasional trip to visit our one aunt and cousin and our 101 year old great-aunt. Christmas has become very bittersweet for me.

Maybe next year will be better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home